Having made small and incremental changes in my day-to-day life to be a more sustainable consumer, being kind to the environment and helping to protect our planet has become a really important focus for my business, Celestial Closet.
It is also so important to me to choose local suppliers and manufacturers where possible to support other businesses within Australia, before looking abroad.
Reusing and Recycling Materials
- The primary material used in my jewellery practice is laser cut acrylic plastic (PMMA). This Type 7 plastic is difficult to recycle commercially due to its chemical composition.
- In January 2021, I invested in a small industrial heat press to create recycled acrylic sheets, using scraps I’ve collected since purchasing my laser cutter.
- Any scraps left over once the recycled sheets are re-cut, can be re-melted into new sheets, making this recycling process circular.
Wear again, and again, and again…
- At Celestial Closet, mostly 304 or 316 grade stainless steel earring findings, necklace chains and brooch backs are used. I have selected these materials not only because they can be worn by most people without irritation, but because of their longevity.
- Stainless steel findings are higher quality than other alloy metals and brass, using higher quality findings from the start ensures your jewellery will last for the longest time possible.
- Care instructions are included inside your parcel so you can take care of, and love your wearables. Loved jewellery lasts!
- My design ethos is to design wearables that can be worn any day of the year and which are timeless – I prefer not to release highly seasonal or occasional collections such as Christmas or Halloween, that might only be worn once per year, and for this reason I do not produce fanart based on existing characters or intellectual property. I take great joy and pride in creating original designs.
Planting Trees with Every Sale
- From March 2021, Celestial Closet has partnered with Tree Nation, to plant one tree for every sale made on the website. As of July 2023, 250 trees have now been planted!
- Reforestation projects run by Tree Nation support planting projects in Australia, and also in other locations worldwide.
- You can view the Celestial Closet Tree Nation Forest and see what species of trees have been planted.
Packaging On The Outside
- Most Celestial Closet parcels will be enclosed in a cornstarch-based, compostable shipping satchel. This will decompose over 90 days in home compost systems. The shipping labels are also home compostable!
- I choose durable e-flute shipping boxes which are manufactured in Australia from 100% recycled cardboard.
- You may receive a parcel that includes some reclaimed bubble wrap, which I’ve received from supplier deliveries.
- For parcels containing wearables only, there are no stickers, sticky tape or shipping labels directly attached to the shipping box. This is so you don’t have to struggle with peeling labels and tape off the box!
- Once finished unwrapping your jewellery, you can re-use the box to send a lovely parcel to someone special, or even re-use the box as a handy drawer organiser!
Packaging and Stationery On The Inside
- Celestial Closet branded tissue paper and stickers are printed by noissue who use soy-based inks and 100% recycled paper.
- Celestial Closet thank you cards and some backing cards are printed in Australia by PrintTogether in Victoria.
- Foiled backing cards and business cards are produced by local business Fast Printing based in Sydney, New South Wales.
- Void fill inside shipping boxes is acid-free, unbleached, recycled kraft coloured tissue paper.
- Backing cards and information cards for Metamorphia Recycled wearables are made from recycled, hand pulled and naturally coloured paper stock made by Zwartko Papercraft who is based in South Australia. The backing cards have seeds embedded in the paper, and can be planted in the ground to grow some yummy kitchen edibles and microgreens!